What can I bring to South Side Landfill?

South Side Landfill accepts a variety of materials for disposal.  We are a permitted Municipal Solid Waste (MSW) Landfill.

That means we can accept things like:

  • Household garbage
  • Refuse and debris (like from cleaning your garage or basement)
  • Construction and demolition debris
  • Clean fill (like concrete, brick, or clean soil)
  • Old tires (additional charges apply)
  • Old appliances (additional charges apply for Freon containing appliances)
  • Brush, grass clippings, and yard trimmings (sent to compost area)

With prior approval, we can also accept:

  • Regulated asbestos containing material
  • Non-hazardous industrial process waste
  • Non-hazardous pollution control waste
  • Non-hazardous remediation waste

What can’t I bring to South Side Landfill?

South Side Landfill is prohibited from accepting liquids, hazardous wastes or infectious wastes.

That means we cannot accept the following:

Old paints or other non-hazardous liquids are not allowed. However, they can be solidified (use sawdust, clay-based cat litter or cellulose insulation) and then brought to the landfill.

If you have old chemicals, cleaners, solvents, car batteries, used motor oil or pesticides, then you have Household Hazardous Waste (HHW). Go to Indy ToxDrop or contact NuGenesis (800-487-1010) to find out how to handle them.

How to identify Household Hazardous Waste:

Read the label. Look for words like Danger, Warning or Caution. A hazardous product has at least one of the following properties:

  • Toxic – Toxic materials are either poisonous or cause long-term illnesses, like cancer. Pesticides, paint thinners, cleaners and automotive supplies are some examples of potentially toxic materials. Look for warnings like “Harmful”, “Fatal if swallowed” or “Use only in a well ventilated area.”
  • Flammable – These materials burn easily.  Paint thinners and other solvents, as well as many automotive products are often flammable.  Look for warnings on the label like “Do not use near heat or flame”, “Combustible”, etc.
  • Corrosive – Corrosive products eat through materials (acid, for example). Examples include oven cleaners, drain cleaners, toilet bowl cleaners and auto batteries. Look for warnings like “Causes severe burns on contact,” “Can burn eyes, skin, throat, etc.”
  • Reactive – These are products that can explode (when exposed to heat, air, water or shock). There are few consumer products still on the market that are explosive, but some older explosive products may still be stored in some homes.

What is Municipal Solid Waste (MSW)?

MSW, also called trash, garbage, refuse and rubbish, is the stuff we all throw away every day. Make a mental list of all of the things you threw away today; your list probably includes everything from newspaper, wrappers and packaging, to old worn-out clothing, batteries and food scraps. Your list might even include furniture, appliances or even yard waste. All of this is considered MSW. MSW can be generated by individuals or by businesses. Other wastes that are not considered MSW are construction and demolition debris, wastewater treatment sludges and non-hazardous industrial wastes.

Where can I get more information about South Side Landfill?

You can call us at 317-247-6808 or CLICK HERE for complete contact information.

What are the hours of operation at South Side Landfill?

We are normally open from 5:00 am until 7:00 pm, Monday-Friday. On Saturday, we are open from 5:00 am until 3:00 pm. We are closed Sunday. Our holiday hours may vary, so please call 317-247-6808 if you have questions about our holiday hours.

What is it going to cost me to dump at South Side Landfill?

Our rates are based on volume. For information to help you estimate your charges, visit our Rates page.

Does South Side Landfill provide unloading service?

South Side Landfill will provide ‘pull-off’ service for an additional charge. For a pull-off, the customer provides an attachment to their load (usually a rope or a chain connected to something large at the front of the load). Then the South Side Landfill equipment operator will allow the customer to attach their chain or cable to the heavy equipment so we can pull. The customer must sign a release of liability. Success of the pull-off is the responsibility of the customer.

What about household appliances?

Household appliances, also called white goods, are divided into two groups depending on whether they are/were Freon containing appliances. Freon containing appliances are things like refrigerators, freezers, air conditioners and dehumidifiers. The rates for Freon containing appliances are also divided into two groups. If they still contain Freon, or if the Freon has been removed but the appliance has not been tagged and certified, they will be charged at the higher rate. The lower rate is only for Freon containing appliances that have been evacuated, tagged and certified. Other appliances (stoves, washers, dryers, etc.) are charged at our normal rates.

What about e-waste?

E-waste stands for electronic waste. E-waste is a relatively new term and it includes things like old televisions, cell phones, computers or computer related equipment, DVD players and all of the other electronic gadgets that are at the end of their useful life. The city of Indianapolis provides e-waste disposal and recycling services through their eCycle program.Another good option in Indianapolis is RecycleForce. For a small donation, they can make sure that your e-waste is properly managed and that all of the recyclable parts are recovered. Indiana households, public schools and small businesses are prohibited from mixing e-waste with other Municipal Solid Waste that is intended for disposal or incineration.

What kinds of payment does South Side Landfill accept?

We accept cash, check and debit/credit cards. We do not accept American Express. Commercial customers have the option of applying for a credit account. Call us at 317-247-6808 for more information.

What is clean fill?

Clean fill is material that is exempt from IDEM regulation. It is defined as uncontaminated rocks, brick, concrete, road demolition waste materials or dirt. We accept clean fill at a reduced rate.

What isn’t clean fill?

Clean fill is not: wood, drywall, brush, limbs, muddy water (hydro-excavating waste) or painted concrete slabs or blocks.